The children of Israel were still in Rephidim when Amalek attacked
them from the rear. Then Moses told Joshua to choose some good men
to fight with Amalek and that he would stand on the top of the hill
with the rod in his hand.
The next day, Israel fought against the Amalekites while Moses,
Aaron, and Hur stood on the top of the hill. While Moses held up
his hand with the rod, Israel won the war. But when Moses lowered
his hand with the rod, Israel began losing the war. So, Aaron and
Hur took a stone and put it under Moses so that he could sit down.
Then they stood on either side of him and helped support his hands
as he held the rod.
When the sun went down, Joshua and the Israelites had defeated
Then Jethro, Moses' father-in-law, visited Moses. Moses' wife and
children had been living with Jethro, so Jethro brought them back
to live with Moses.
Moses told Jethro everything that the Lord had done to Pharaoh
and the Egyptians. Jethro rejoiced and praised the Lord for delivering
them out of Egypt. Then Jethro offered a sacrifice to the Lord.
On the next day, Jethro saw that Moses judged the people from morning
until evening. He questioned Moses as to reason he judged Israel
by himself. Moses explained that the people came to him to inquire
of God. They brought their problems to Moses and he told them God's
Jethro told Moses that he should let some of the men help him judge
the Israelites. Moses agreed with Jethro and had the people appoint
wise men to help Moses rule over them. Then, Jethro went back to
- Where were the children of Israel when Amalek attacked them?
- What did Moses tell Joshua to do before fighting with Amalek?
- What did Moses do while Israel fought against the Amalekites?
- What happened when Moses held up his hand with the rod?
- What happened when Moses lowered his hand with the rod?
- What did Aaron and Hur do to help Moses?
- Who won the war?
- After the war was over, who visited Moses?
- Who did Jethro bring back to live with Moses?
- What did Moses tell Jethro about? What did Jethro do?
- What did Moses do so that he could have some help with judging