After crossing the Red Sea, the children of Israel traveled three
days in the wilderness. They were getting desperate for water and
finally came to Marah.
There was water in Marah, but it was bitter. So, the children of
Israel complained to Moses because they did not have any water to
drink. God showed Moses a tree which he threw into the bitter water
and turned it sweats. Before they left Marah, God gave them an ordinance
to test them. If they kept God's commands, he would take care of
them and heal them. After leaving Marah, God brought them to Elim
where there was plenty of water.
After the children of Israel departed from Elim, they began to
run out of food. Then they began to complain to Moses about not
having enough food to eat. Moses told them that they were not murmuring
against him but against God. The Lord heard their murmurings and
gave them quail and bread to eat. That evening the lord caused quail
to cover their camp. Then the next morning, God caused manna to
fall in the morning. They went out every morning and picked up the
manna for forty years.
God also gave them another test. He told them to pick up manna
every morning except on the seventh day. On the seventh day they
were to rest. So, God gave them enough bread on the sixth day to
last for two days so that they could rest.
Then Israel came to Rephidim and began to murmur again because
they did not have any water. Moses told them that they were tempting
the Lord by murmuring. Then God told Moses to go to Horeb and strike
the rock that He would show him. Moses obeyed God and water came
from the rock and Israel had water to drink.
1. After traveling three days from the Red Sea, did the children
of Israel become desperate for water?
2. Could they drink the water in Marah? Why not?
3. What did God do so that they could drink the water?
4. How did God test Israel?
5. Did they have plenty of water in Elim?
6. What did the children of Israel run out of after leaving Elim?
7. What did God do for them?
8. How long did they eat the manna?
9. What were the two tests God gave the children of Israel?
10. What did Israel complain about in Rephidim?
11. What did God do for them?
12. Did God like Israel's complaining?
13. Does God like it when we complain?
14. Did God take care of Israel?
15. Does God take care of us?